The Turner Family

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Fertility problems and the pregnancy

Now that the shock of being pregnant has worn off and morning sickness has pass I decided to blog about the last 3 years. So 3 years ago we decided that it was time to start trying to get pregnant. There was only 1 problem. I didn't have a period for about 10 months after making that decision. After Travis was born I got put on Depo Provera for birth control. I didn't realize that a common side effect of the drug is not having periods for up to a year after getting off of the drug. When I did finally have periods again they were irregular for another 7 months. When they became regular again I tested myself to see if I was ovulating and it was a negative. I got an appointment with my doctor and he finally gave me some medicine. He had refused in the past or wanted to put me on birth control to start my periods. He put me on clomid for 6 months with no success. We even did 1 month of IVI. I then had to take 4 months off of clomid before I could start it again. We started with clomid again for 4 months without success and that is when we found out about my hole in the heart. We stopped the clomid until we saw what the cardiologist wanted to do. It was that next month that I got pregnant. I figured that my body was being stupid again and not having regular periods so I didn't even test myself for being pregnant until 2 days before my doctors appointment and possible surgery. I was completely shocked to get a positive result and realize I was 6 weeks pregnant. Now surgery is on hold until after the baby is delivered. I won't take Depo Provera again.

1 comment:

Kati Atkinson Vollmer said...

I'm excited for you! I understand what you had to go through! I had to do the Clomid with Corbin! It's a tough road! I'm sorry to hear about your heart! Hopefully everything will take care of itself until after the baby comes! Are you going to find out if it is a boy or girl???